Changing dampers

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 2 Jul 2003 10:17:15 -0500

Hmm.. first remove the action and check the damper rod mechanism, etc.
Is it a split rod? Make sure all that is solid. I've seen broken hangers
cause the same kind of mess.

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Bill Ballard
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 11:31 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Changing dampers

At 10:16 PM -0600 7/1/03, Arlie Rauch wrote:
>Anyway, I was not satisfied when I left.  I seem to remember a
>similar situation on one piano some years ago, but I do not remember
>what the fix was.  Has anyone had a similar experience?  How can
>this situation on this piano be corrected?

Well, Arlie, I'd start by removing the hammer butts. Yes, clear'em
out of the way because you need unobstructed access to the damper
wires and felts, to be able to really fix this damper set. It will be
a learning experience, but not likely one you should even consider
asking the customer to pay for.

The sad fact is that after all of this blind bending (yes the hammer
butts were in the way), you're going to have to restore the original
"line" of damper blocks. That's done by skillful damper bending. But
you'd be amazed how much more skillful you can be with the butts and
rail out of the way.

Along the way, you may decide that the original damper felts are not
up to the job. That's when you may decide that your thankful to the
Piano Technicians Guild for its Journal reprints, as well as the
reprints offered by Bill Spurlock.

I've had a similar experience but not involving upright dampers.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"There's a difference between 'involved' and 'committed.' When
providing ham and eggs for breakfast, the hen is involved. The pig is
committed."
     ...........(Milo Sturgis in Jonathan Kellerman's novel
"Self-Defense")

---