Virtual Capstan Update

Wed, 02 Jul 2003 21:50:06 +0200

Below you see the first test of side by side magnets with adjustable
fold down mounts for the key magnets. I want to refine this idea so that
the flange is the key itself, and the shank is sunk down into the key
half the diameter of the shank... about a 3 mm deep by 15 mm long routed
channel. That will look a bit better methinks, and give even better
room.

These magnets are Ø5mm by 3 mm thick, and you dont need any more then
that as the UW/DW measurements below will show.

Mags Down
from left to right

DW 70 UW 41 // DW 68 UW 47 // DW 69 // UW 50

Mags Up
from left to right

DW 54 UW 30 // DW 54 UW 39 // DW 54 UW 46

This experiement saw the magnets mounted a good deal more solidly then
previous ones, and I was suprised that for these three notes there was a
reduction in apparent friction of about 2 grams.  The 3.5 gram
difference in friction in the middle suggests some influence by the
neighboring magnets, and its interesting to see that the effect is
apparently something that overcomes exisiting friction and lowers its
value by some small degree.

Using Ø4 mm magnets would decrease this affect, and would no doubt
provide enough effect placed where these were. As is.. with about 5 mm
distance between key and whippen magnets, we are getting a reduction in
DW of around 15 grams.

The whippen magnet was glued on the underside of the jack about 3 mm
forward of the jack centerpin. This far out neutralizes the tendency of
the hammer to speed up through the bottom half of the keystroke doing
the DW test. I think actually, They could be placed just a bit further
back ... just behind the jack on the whippens lower arm and still get
enough effect while not effecting this hammer travel fully so much.

Cheers
RIcB

[Image]

[Image]

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.

--------------457388F5D5ED598FCD5554A2
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

--------------457388F5D5ED598FCD5554A2
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: C:\\DOCUME~1\\RICHAR~1\\LOCALS~1\\Temp\\nsmail5J.jpeg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 41082 bytes
Desc: not available

--------------457388F5D5ED598FCD5554A2
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: C:\\DOCUME~1\\RICHAR~1\\LOCALS~1\\Temp\\nsmail5G.jpeg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 41326 bytes
Desc: not available

--------------457388F5D5ED598FCD5554A2--