Accu-just hitch pin removal

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 02 Jul 2003 19:39:06 -0500

>Ron,
>Good ideas. Actually the piano is coming in more a complete restoration
>next summer in which I'll have full access from underneath the piano and
>punching the material back up should be more probable.

Hi Tom,
Then that's probably your best bet. If the pin involved spans two unisons,
it should be reasonably ignorable until then.

>I'm still amazed at the rigidity of this material.  I thought this would
>be a quick drill out and install time. Lesson curve continues!
>Tom Servinsky

Those little hummers are hardened steel, similar to a high speed steel
drill bit. You aren't going to cut them out with any edged drill bit on the
planet that I'm familiar with. It would take aluminum oxide or diamond
abrasives, and flooding the area with coolant would be a tad
counterproductive. It does surprise me that it won't drive on through
though. It seems pretty unlikely to me that the holes in the plate wouldn't
be drilled through, but it's possible. I had an SF in the shop about seven
years ago, but I don't remember if that's the case or not. There's a lot of
spring to these pins, and it takes a pretty good lick at best to get them
to move in the hole, so even with a clear through hole it's hard to move them.

You're right. Probably best to wait for the scheduled rebuild.

Ron N