A couple of fixes

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sat, 5 Jul 2003 12:07:52 EDT

Dallas wanna-be-theres,

The call was originally about fixing the music desk on an old Steinway O(not
the most secure design in the world, IMHO).  The screw holes had stripped, and
the husband of this teacher--an engineer, not a woodworker--had oozed glue
all over the hinges and screw heads in attempt to get them to stay put.  The
trouble is, he missed the holes, instead focusing on the heads and the hinges
themselves.  Needless to say, it was a mess, and it took longer to clean up the
old glue than to actually fix(with shims and cold hide glue, it is probably
more solid than it was when new!).

Her other piano, a rather large Bechstein, probably a 7 footer, was sitting
in front of me begging me to play it.  The lady said, "oh, please!" so I sat
down for a few seconds before the pedals began to annoy me.  I thought they were
poorly adjusted and noisy.  I mentioned this to her, and she said, "you know,
while you're here, if you have time, perhaps you can figure out what's wrong
with this soft pedal."  I had some time(something here regular tuner never
seemed to have for this problem).

There was a really loud clunk upon release of the pedal no matter how softly
I tried to let it go.  I pulled off the fallboard and looked at the side of
the piano that takes the brunt of the force when the action returns, and there
was plenty of cushion felt.  No noise from there.  I got down on the floor to
listen to the trapwork and pedals themselves, and sure enough, it was emanating
from the pedal box.

I removed the lyre, opened the box and looked at the cushion felt under the
back of the pedal.  Pretty wimpy, and time hardened.  Fortunately, the pedal
cushions are only glued towards the front, and the back can be lifted up.  I dug
through my miscellaneous felt container and found a piece of backrail cloth,
cut it to size, lifted the cushion felt, and put in my shim.  I screwed the
lyre together and tried it a bit before I put it back on the instrument.  No
noise.

I put the lyre back on, and it worked like a champ with no discernible change
in the level of the pedal.  She was thrilled, because the noise had been
driving her buggy for quite some time, and she was afraid to "trouble" her regular
tuner to deal with it.

Though her payment for my time was less than I would have asked, she said
that she would recommend me to many of her students.  I figured it was pretty
cheap PR.

Hope you all had a great 4th, even those of you in places where it has little
significance.

Dave Stahl