List Etiquette - was RE: OT-Extraneous "stuff"

Ernie Golnik pianolist@egolnik.dyndns.org
Sun, 6 Jul 2003 01:22:40 -0400

Those particular "tags" indicate that the person who wrote the message
has their email program set to use Microsoft Word as the default email
editor. For example, they are using outlook or outlook express, and
_that_ program is, in turn, set to use MS Word to do the editing. In the
mind of Microsoft, that is considered non-invasive (!) and some installs
make those settings the default.

This is all well and good if everyone receives these posts as email, and
if everyone's email program knows how to handle the coding.

This is never the case on a "list" such as this one - remember that many
people NEED to receive these posts as a daily digest, and that is not
the same as an regular email - so some courtesy steps can be helpful to
everyone.

* It's always a good idea to send posts to any "lists" as plain text to
help reduce the garbage. (In MS outlook/outlook express, before you
click "send", click "Format / Plain Text"

* Also, one must really think twice about using fancy "stationary" with
graphics, as they WILL cause garbage in the archives. The "click Format
/ Plain Text" trick should take care of that problem as well. Format /
HTML should be OK, too, (adds HTML tags) but plain text is the cleanest
way to go.

* If one is using MS outlook and wishes to make a permanent change to
turn off MS Word editing (and one really should), the setting one would
change to DEselect MS Word as the default mail editor in that program
is: in the main screen of Outlook, click "tools / options / mail format"
and UNCHECK "Use Microsoft Word to edit e-mail messages"   I'd think
Outlook Express should be similar, but your mileage may vary. This does
not affect your MS Word program at all, it just tells outlook to use
it's own built-in editor.

* Also, if you do reply to a message with fancy text, if _you_ remember
to change _your_ reply to plain text (before you click send click Format
/ Plain Text) you can help prevent the garbage from re-propagating with
your reply.

-ernie