Voicing restrun Steinway S

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 6 Jul 2003 15:35:15 +0200

I'll add:
if you want the treble strings to sound more brillant, they may be
aged (other strings as well)

The method, developped by Klaus Fenner is :

On the first four plain wires, raise the pitch one major third -adding
59% tension approx-
17 notes higher minor third (4 notes)
17 notes higher one tone
17 notes higher half tone

The 4 notes group begin every 20 notes
The next day (20 hours later) put at their normal pitch the raised
notes, and reapeat the process on the next four ones.
when approaching the next section the added tention may be lower, in
the high treble if the strings are very long (C8 = 53 mm for instance)
one may be lowering the added tension - as the strings are yet
sollicited more than usual because of their lenght.

It takes 5 days to go thru all the process, the strings are then
spaced, eyelets closed, and the piano is fine tuned.

The temperature of the room plays a role too, the plastic deformation
(fluage in French), is ten times faster if the temperature is 13 c?
higher - 22? to 35 c?.

A string that is tensionned at 40% of its beaking strain is loosing
1.13% of its tension in 5 years - if tensionned at 60% it loose 7.4%
in 5 years

One year under normal condition ar giving 7% tension loosness.

New strings have an elastic response, and they will tone less because
of that. The above treatment give strings that are supposed to resist
better to tension, because their plasticity limit is nearer.

How the wounded strings are treated I don't know at this date, I've
heard of a 1 tone added tension, I'll ask for more details...

The result is the same as aging the strings, the added tension leave
them slightly above their plasticity limit for a short time, and they
are then more resisting to stress (higher breaking point) they are
then stable and tone better.

The strenght of the plate pins, and bridge pins may well better be
double checked before doing so.

Schimmel is using this process I've been said, indeed their pianos
have always very brillant strings I noticed yet.

The basic idea is that it takes 5 years to the strings to stabilise
totally

comments welcome.

Best Regards

Isaac OLEG