Schiedmayer square piano circa 1895

Bob rcsenior@yahoo.com
Sun, 6 Jul 2003 22:01:58 +0100

Dear Members,
I have acquired a very unusual piano described below, which is missing =
its pedal. I am looking for an illustration of a similar instrument so =
that I can make a facsimile as close as possible to the original.
The piano is a square Table Grand made by Schiedmayer & Sohne of =
Stuttgart about 1895 (No. 17859). On the frame is cast 'Made expressly =
for the Indian Climate' and above the makers name is also, in brass =
letters 'Standard Indian Sympathetic Piano'. It has an ebonised case 204 =
x 94 x 39 cm made of mahogany and heavily reinforced. The strings are =
nickel plated and it is in excellent condition. Sometime before 1937 it =
came to the UK hence the lack of deterioration due to heat and humidity =
etc.
The company of Marcks & Co. Ltd of Bombay and Poona have attached their =
label at some stage and the case has been ornamented in India with an =
incised gilt decoration. I can supplyscans of this large and heavy =
instrument with its unusual damper system and overstrung movement in =
highly ornate iron frame.
Bob Senior