OT - Totally

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Sun, 6 Jul 2003 17:53:22 -0700

1.  wipe out and reformat the hard drive and start from scratch.  It is
ALWAYS best to start with a clean slate.

2.  Load Win98 on it.  XP would overwhelm an older computer of this class
and cause new problems.

3.  From what you are describing it is probably a Pentium I.  If it is a 486
let me know, I have a box full of Pentium overdrive processors that will
upgrade most 486 computers to a Pentium.  Much to contrary belief a Pentium
I is still a great kick-butt computer. They will work on the Internet just
fine, (reasonable connection permitting).  They are perfect for word
processing and other such every day tasks.

3.  Check how much memory the system has.  Win98 on a computer of this class
should have at least 64mb to perform reasonably fast and smooth.  If you
need to add memory you can get old simm memory cards for almost nothing on
ebay.

I have reconditioned many old university surplus computers that I have
obtained for nothing.  I am always amazed at how nice and smooth they can be
with sufficient memory and proper configuration.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV