Treble resonator

Mon, 7 Jul 2003 12:27:18 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cy Shuster" <charter1400@charter.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: July 07, 2003 10:46 AM
Subject: Re: Treble resonator

> In Del's small grand class at PTG 2000, I seem to remember him saying
it's
> the long straight side of the rim that needs bracing.  I wonder why they
> brace this side?  Just because the treble side of the soundboard should
be
> stiffer?
>
> --Cy Shuster--
> Rochester, MN

And the commonly unsupported tenor/treble portion of the bellyrail.

I can't see this so-called treble resonator" doing anything that a
well-placed wood brace wouldn't do, but it would be rather difficult to
install a wood brace without removing the soundboard. This thing can be
installed without disturbing anything else.

Personally, if I were rebuilding a piano having one of these devices I
would remove it and install a wood brace. But, if my ears told me the
bellyrail in some piano--and, given their rather flexible bellyrails,
Steinways are strong candidates--needed some help I'd certainly consider
installing one of these things.

My principle objection to them is the ridiculous and misleading name
they've been given. "Resonator," indeed! Must we still be constrained and
hampered by the same ignorance and deliberate confusion that reigned
supreme 40 years ago?

Del