Guild memberships, kind of OT

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 09 Jul 2003 06:58:34 -0400

Charles,

Good advice, and you certainly did the right thing by checking first.

The red flag for me was that the guy "came by my house...."  I caution every
single person reading this to be very wary of anyone just stopping by,
although I tried this once myself.  When I needed work and before I got into
piano service, I drove around the neighborhood looking for houses that needed
new roofing, since I knew something about that.  (I wasn't a scammer, you
understand!)

You've likely started a thread that may yield a lot of stories, and here's
mine.  Before we had a paved driveway a guy stopped and offered to put some
"left-over" loose stone on it.  He quoted me a price per square foot and said
it shouldn't cost more than about $200, but in any case it would be that
square-foot price.  I asked for his number and said I would get back, since
the driveway did need the stone.  My math showed that at his price the job
would cost me more like $900.  A friend told me that for that price (this was
years ago) I could almost have the driveway paved.

If there's ever a chance of being scammed, be sure to check thoroughly first
the person's credentials.

Regards,
Clyde