simple useful tip !

Gordon Holley gholley@hi-techhousing.com
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:45:49 -0500

Now you tell me.  I just finished putting new buckskin on 88 Kimball
style knuckles, for an old Farrand Grand.  And that wasn't any fun
either.  The sheet of buckskin had a variance in thickness enough to
make some of the knuckles big fat and ugly.  Ended up replacing the
first buckskin on 2 dozen knuckles with a second try.
Joe Garrett tells me that he has a method of leveling out the
thickness of the sheet, don't have the details on the process.
I do know one thing, I'll never replace buckskin on knuckles again,
I'll replace the shanks/knuckles and new hammers.  Yes, I know there
is somewhat a difference in the costs between the two.
I spent more time on it and I'm still not satisfied with the results.
 The new knuckles made the regulation a nightmare.
Another vodka tonic please.
Regards, Gordon Holley
Associate Member, Indiana Chapter 467
Goshen, Indiana