"Truing Leather"

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 20:10:41 -0700

"To: Oleg - I believe the leather thinning you refere to is what Joe Garrett
was trying to explain to me, again, I'd need to go back to Joe on this point
and your suggestion."

The system, I use for truing the thickness of leather is fairly simple, but
you need to be VERY cautious! I do this process on the Table Saw. Years ago,
I bought a "sanding disc" from Sears. It's main function is to dimension
lumber. One side is absolutely flat and the other side is at an angle. The
angled side is what is used. You need to also make a jig for this, that
attaches to the rip fence. Once you have everything set on the table saw,
you run the strips of leather through. Sounds scary, don't it?!<G> The
secret is to attach some casting line to the both ends of each strip, before
you start running it through. You stand at the side of the table saw and
keeping the string/leather taut, lower the sting down, in between the fence
and the disc. Simply feed it through until the leather is all the way
through and then lift up/out. Works great for leather key bushing stock and
knuckle stock, etc.
Hope that 'splains it well enough. If anyone wants the stock number of the
sanding disc, (I'm pretty sure Sears still sells them.), let me know.
Regards,

Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)