Downbearing gauge/David Love

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 22:19:52 -0500

>  I was wondering
>what the spacing was on the original.

David,
I have what I think is one of the originals from my father in law's estate.
the outside pins are centered at 1.92" apart (0.185" pins), with the
plunger in the middle.

>I haven't done the math yet, but it
>seems that the outer legs should be a set distance apart so that the
>reading from the plunger will actually mean something, or can be translated
>easily into degrees.

Not possible, since the degrees figured from this sort of gage depends on
the pin row spacing on the bridge. Given two bridges with identical front
and rear bearing angle measurements and different pin row spacings, the one
with the wider row spacing would read less bearing on the dial than the one
with narrower row spacing. Then too, the outside legs on this gage are flat
bottomed. with a slight chamfer.

You don't even need the trig book for this one, just make a quick sketch as
a visual aid and it's easy to see.

>  I don't know, but something tells
>me I'll be hearing from Ron N. on this one.

Now why would you think that? <G>

Ron N