A string's treatment/ Isaac

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 12 Jul 2003 00:34:11 +0200

Ron, Joe, listers,

I am exactly like you, when some new information is said to me (in the
usual generalization way that is so often used) , I try to check the
real facts to be sure.

My friend said me he have heard of the method because it was described
to him (and others) in the 70' by Klaus Fenner at an Europiano
conference or at the Ludwigsburg school. I believe Mr. Fenner was
working closely at this moment with the Schimmel factory on some
models.

The description of the method is may be even not from Mr. Fenner
himself, as he did not present it like that (but like some practical
method) , the metal modification is something well known for a long
time. The metal reorganization that occur under stress within the
elastic limit is something accepted and known.
Then the method was described again by Stephen Paulello during a
recent seminar, and I have the text of this presentation (that treat
of many other aspects also)

Indeed Stephen, as many actually, is not always immediately perfectly
precise in the facts he gives, that is why I insist to have more sure
data always, as I should do with any thing abruptly expressed as being
"the truth".

As I said I talk today about that string "aging" treatment with a
friend who studied enough these things and he said he agree that this
seem perfectly feasible without creating harm to the strings, it is
the same modification that occurs in time. he worked in a French
factory where on a week delay the piano have to be "stabilized at 445
Hz. This mean tuning them one full tone up, but the stringers all know
that the strings near the break need more , and the high treble may be
less. And after that the pitch of the instruments yet fall as you all
know, and they should need those 4 tunings the first year.

As you should certainly noticed, I never affirm something I am not
sure without the usual precautions ("I've been said") so when I tell
about those kind of thing I am asking for comments and not pretending
to know it all as is some general tendency on Internet.

The piano world  makes me think of the little guerilleros groups that
pass a lot of time to shoot themselves.
I have learned a lot on that list and others, and have much respect
for the generous people that stay there year after year, but I noticed
on enough moments that some "data" is given as being true, while most
of us have no way to verify it.

I should mention that some are very quiet and honest while expressing
their wiew, while others can refrain to be aggressive (and I do that
myself from time to time) If I where to obtain some personal value
recognized, I should count on my customers, friends, and local
colleagues for that, not to an Internet group.

Then,assuming my English lmevel, my posting looks certainly confusing
and crude to some, I understand that but it is unovoidable.

back to your answer :

> >I don't assume they are really doing that t the Schimmel factory.
>
> Oh, I thought that's what :
> >"Schimmel is using this process I've been said, indeed their pianos
> >have always very brilliant strings I noticed yet."
> meant, and that their brilliance was presumed to be due to
> this treatment.
> My mistake, apparently.

Schimmel pianos have a very special tone and I more than once asked
myself if they where not using other strings than Roslau , hence my
comment, I should not be surprized that they used an approching method
to age strings.

> >Indeed that is what we aim for, I talk about the process
> again today with a very good friend which is good at computing , and
he is not
> >chocked at all by the process, he only say he use "cool "
> methods when working on ancien pianos of course , because of the
> eventual risk of breaking something.
>
> What is what we aim for? I have no clue what this means.

We aim for stable strings and no "green tone"  I guess, to have less
work when its tuning time, more time to even the tone, voice,
regulate...

> >I have no real experience on new Shimmels, (while I have
> tuned a lot and these pianos are very stable generally )I asked
again
> Stephen to>say where this process is really used, and he is not sure
actually
> >(for Schimmel he believe they warm the instruments ).
>
> So you have no reliable information that anyone anywhere is
> actually doing  this on a regular basis?

Still insisting and looking for it - you'll see may be Ill find some
precise data.

> >As it takes 5 days to have all strings treated, I don't
> know how this can be done in a factory, but the source of the method
is
> not recent.
>
> I can't imagine any factory anywhere going to this sort of
> trouble, but you never know. What does "the source of the method is
not
> recent" mean? Is  this an old method, an old rumor, or proposed by
an old technician?

As explained at the beginning of the post - 1970 .

> >Well for me the easiest way is to try it, after having checked the
scaling.

> Go for it. Good luck.

Where do you see possible problems, the deformation of the metal occur
anyway, it may be better to have it done while the strings are new and
stronger, than to add new kinks and work while pitch raising again and
again the piano during the first years of use. Nowadays even if that
sound esoteric, it may be evaluated seriously.

Best Regards.

Isaac OLEG