A string's treatment/ Isaac

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 13 Jul 2003 00:35:12 +0200

OK if of course stretching is not the only reason for the string to go
out of tune it still is the most important.
I come back to the basis :

On many instruments the solicitation of plain wire is beginning very
low. Theses strings are loosing their tension very slowly, so they
take a long time to be stable.
The experiments and computations say :

A string A4 if solicited at 40% of the practical breaking point (the
data of the string maker being lessened 25% for the computations) will
lost (naturally) 1.13% of its initial tension after 5 years 442 Hz >>
439.5
If the solicitation is 60 % it will loose 7.4% tension only in 5
years. 442 Hz >> 425.5

We aim for a good state of stabilization of the strings, where the
rapid plastic deformation under load have been absorbed.
At the same time the properties of the metal have been modified
leaving us with a more resisting string.
The method described is intended to give us the same that a full year
of PR and tunings plus play. Why should it be presumptuous, I don't
know, may be because it is something not really understood in its
physics among us humble piano repair people ?

Give me a good reason why the string would be more prone to break or
to tone badly if the linear plastic deformation have been lessened.

Indeed plastic deformation occur also at the bridge pins, at plate
pins, the strings is wrapped when the pianist play, there are cutting
forces, etc.

I believe it may be better to have the slack off the string, then the
deformation at the bends is on a smaller zone and is not moving back
and forth with pitch changes (I call that stability)

Some operations described by Ed Foote, are the same as adding tension
and not a little massaging the strings, leveling,) and they are to be
done anyway. when the pianist play he also add tension plus other
tortures to the strings

Indeed the bends may well accentuate and tension may even from many
points, but still the new strings goes out of tune because they are
yet too plastic and under the impact and deformation made by the
hammer when played they loose their tension.

That is so simple I don't see why you want to argue on that.

Now, on an old instrument, I certainly will not use a such heavy
method unless I am certain of the strong ness of plate pins, bridge
pins, bridge gluing, stiffness of the board, etc. So I will surely not
use it as it is.
But on modern instruments that seem to move too much, I see no reason
not to try that, and it is yet done, may be not as extensively in
many factories, the difference being that the pitch is raised one full
tone (or more) all along the instrument, leaving the medium  first
plain wire not enough worked.

Remember that the method say that you get a major third and the 4
plain wire, up to a minor third 17 notes  above, and the next 17 notes
is yet PR "only " one tone as it is done very usually in many places.

Another advantage of working from above is that one helps the bridge
to stand up, and give a good amount of tension behind it.

The important point is that the breaking strain of the string does not
change (or is slightly better).

I should tend to prefer "soft" methods , as many friends, but this is
not chocking at all in fact if we understand correctly what happens.

Best to all.

 Isaac -

> >Where do you see possible problems, the deformation of the
> metal occur
> >anyway, it may be better to have it done while the strings
> are new and
> >stronger, than to add new kinks and work while pitch
> raising again and
> >again the piano during the first years of use.
>
> Not necessarily, and that's one of the points. Force
> stretching strings  isn't necessarily, or even reasonably assumed to
be
> equivalent to letting  them settle naturally without being
unnecessarily abused.
> Also, inherent in  this process is the assumption that continually
stretching
> strings is the  principal reason for the need for more tunings when
a piano
 is new. That  is, again, not necessarily the case.