ratio question

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sun, 13 Jul 2003 07:19:47 EDT

 Richard asks:
<< Can a (for the sake of example) 6.0 static weight ratio ala Stanwood
result in differing distance ratios ? >>

  If you mean, can a 6.0 ratio be found with various keydips or with various
hammer blow distances?  Yes.  Which brings up another question that I am not
seeing asked.....

    Why is there is a distinct difference in feel between two actions that
achieve the same ratio with different knuckle distances?  Ie.  you can arrive at
the same overall action ratio with a 15.5 mm knuckle distance and a short key
ratio as you can with a 17 mm knuckle distance and a longer key ratio, but
the response of these two actions are NOT the same.
    I have certain ideas about finding the optimum combination, but I confess
to making many of my final decisions on hard-to-quantify feedback I get from
the piano.

Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/
 <A HREF="http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/399/six_degrees_of_tonality.html">