lessons learned

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Sun, 13 Jul 2003 20:23:08 -0500

Terry Farrell said: "... explaining why you want to charge them for TWO
pitch raises on that rusty 1915 Starr upright."

To which I add: "And why we are going to tune it a little lower in pitch
than modern pianos. Rather than increasing the risk of breakage tuning
this here A to 440 cycles per second (Ouch. That Hz!) we will tune it to
435. When this piano was built, that was a generally accepted pitch
standard and the piano was designed to be at that pitch, anyway."

I think that I actually say this in a whole lot fewer words but,
considering it's me, maybe not!

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Farrell
Sent: Sunday, July 13, 2003 7:30 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: lessons learned

"But I think in the future I would consider explaining "a string might
fail" BEFORE doing a large pitch raise."

ABSOLUTELY! I do it before ANY pitch raise on any piano. That will go a
long way toward explaining why you want to charge them for TWO pitch
raises on that rusty 1915 Starr upright that is 100 cents flat!

On a newer piano and/or a small pitch raise, I will still inform them of
the risk of string breakage, but then also say that it is unusual for
strings to break on a newer piano like theirs - just to put them at ease
(even though you have put them on notice!).

Terry Farrell