Intermittent ZINGing Chopin on M&H 1923 model AA

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:29:42 EDT

Joe Goss writes:

> I simply moved the wire  ( string ) away from the wire (damper ) resurfaced
> the string cut tip o de hammer and checked the level.

If the unison is incorrectly spaced toward the damper wire, I would move all
three wires equally, and respace the hammer. This maintains the same strike
location without filing. If the damper wire is traveling, or the spacing bend is
incorrect, then it isn't that hard to correct it.

By the way, a low-probability possibility if the damper wire is NOT zinging
on the string, and the underlever leads aren't loose: I have on more than one
occasion found the wire rattling IN the top flange. A VERY slight bend on the
bottom of the wire stopped the rattle by causing it to bear on the side of the
hole.

Bob D