Center Rail Key Buttons/S&S, 1966

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 17:18:25 -0700

I'm working on the action of a 1966 S&S, "D", (Teflon). Today, I am removing
the olde key bushing cloth and started noticing that the darned mortices, in
the center rail, are NOT running parallel to the travel of the Key!!!!!
Yikes! This is most definately a first on a supposed High Quality Grand Key
Set. The key set is one of those made by the olde Pratt-Read Co.
This piano has been the "performance piano" in one of Oregon's smaller
towns, all of it's life. The Bushing cloth is that really spongy, soft,
CHEAP, bushing cloth, that we've all quit using years ago, (since we
convinced the suppliers to carry the really good stuff). I think, if I put
the high grade key bushing cloth in these keys, I'm going to have a major
"binding" problem. That cheap stuff allowed the keys to kinda squirm around,
whereas, the high-density felt will not allow this. What is you
opinion/idea/comments? (Boy, sh** happens!, but this is ridiculous!)
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)