Center Rail Key Buttons/S&S, 1966

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 21:26:08 -0400

Joseph Garrett wrote:
> I'm working on the action of a 1966 S&S, "D", (Teflon). Today, I am removing
> the olde key bushing cloth and started noticing that the darned mortices, in
> the center rail, are NOT running parallel to the travel of the Key!!!!!
> Yikes! This is most definately a first on a supposed High Quality Grand Key
> Set. The key set is one of those made by the olde Pratt-Read Co.
> This piano has been the "performance piano" in one of Oregon's smaller
> towns, all of it's life. The Bushing cloth is that really spongy, soft,
> CHEAP, bushing cloth, that we've all quit using years ago, (since we
> convinced the suppliers to carry the really good stuff). I think, if I put
> the high grade key bushing cloth in these keys, I'm going to have a major
> "binding" problem. That cheap stuff allowed the keys to kinda squirm around,
> whereas, the high-density felt will not allow this. What is you
> opinion/idea/comments? (Boy, sh** happens!, but this is ridiculous!)

Joe,

This is good opportunity to install new key buttons. Some of the Ds from
this era didn't have top plates, can you believe it!. Maybe it would be
a good idea to install these as well, really helps increase the dynamic
range. Check the link below for a photo of new top plates and key
buttons on a Steinway B.

--
John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos