Center Rail Key Buttons/S&S, 1966

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 22:28:50 -0400

Joseph Garrett wrote:

> John, as you can see, these have the top plate.
> After thinking about it for a while, I'll probably build up the really bad
> ones with veneer and then re-route them so they're in line better. This is
> the weirdest, (aka sloppiest), job I've ever seen on any piano. The mortices
> are all over the map.

Joe,

Sounds like a practical solution. If it was my job and the client could
afford it I would still go for the new buttons and tops. The top plates
look too short and this being an accelerated action (?) the key could
use the extra stiffness provided by maple instead of bass wood. But this
is a lot of work and expensive. Your solution is fast and easy and takes
care of the immediate problem.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin