Creative Truth-telling

Harry Pickett hjpickett@cablenet-va.com
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 08:21:00 -0400

I really don't know about this. I would be inclined to tell the customer
(victim) it's not so bad for a Chinese "instrument". For future
reference call a registered technician before laying down your hard
earned cash. Dealers are in the business of selling instruments so it's
always wise to get another objective opinion before purchase.

Call a spade a spade, people respect you for your honesty and candor.
 Cheers
Harry

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Clyde Hollinger
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 6:55 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Creative Truth-telling

Alan,
Good joke!  :-)  But you know that the customer will mangle the comment
and tell all their friends, "My tuner said this piano is just like a
Steinway!"
Alan wrote:
Well you never want to put people down or trash talk the things they are
proud of … but you don’t want to speak outright falsehoods either. The
answer is Creative Truth-telling.
An example: I was having a tough time tuning a recently imported
Chinese-made grand piano. You know the trouble … you pull it up to pitch
… you’re almost there … one more tweak … and bwooop it jumps up 15 cents
… grrr … so you put a little back pressure on it and pound it down … it
almost gets there … a little more pressure and ….. beeooop it drops 15
cents.
Anyhow, it was reminding me of tuning a certain classic line of
American-made pianos. Just as I formed that thought, the proud owner
walks in and asks “So, how do you like my piano? I got a terrific deal
on it.”
“Well,” says I, “It tunes just like a Steinway!”
Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO
---