Hi or Low

John Pasterczyk jp@southbaypiano.com
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:18:38 -0700 (PDT)

James et. al.,

Not that you should take everything you are told as
gospel truth...but at a recent Chapter meeting here in
Los Angeles we were instructed that a lower tension
resulted in a higher inharmonicity, and vice versa...

It is hard to explain without pictures, but the
explaination was that the nodes that occur at each of
the partials are not points crossing the center line
(as we picture them and seen them drawn) but actually
a flattened area across the center line.  Because of
the flat area, the upper partial (and the length of
corresponding string) is shorter than the theoretical
length...so we tune and hear it sharper than
theoretical....thus stretch...

Further, we were told that this flattened area is
slightly longer in lower tension than in higher
tension, thus even more stretch (and higher
inharmonicity) for a low tension scale.

I hope I have explained clearly enough so that you can
get a mental picture.

John Pasterczyk, RPT (this past May)
Manhattan Beach, CA