Glued in bridge pins

Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:18:06 -0700

Here's an interesting dilemma.  Redoing a MH 1923 AA.  Board is nice.  Good
crown, nice ring.  The bridge has taken a bit of a beating, literally.
Someone used a sledge to tap down the strings and the top of the bridge
needs resurfacing.  So, pull the bridge pins, right?  It appears that they
have been set and glued.  Some are set so deep that there is barely enough
above the surface to hold the string, much less get a grip with pliers.  I
don't want to replace the board and the customer doesn't want me to.  Is my
best alternative to chisel away the bridge cap where I can get a grip on
the pins and pull them free and recap?  Any other suggestions would be
appreciated.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net