Glued in bridge pins

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 21:40:17 -0500

You say "redoing" and "...don't want to replace the board." Seems to me
that the damage you describe makes surgery necessary for a proper
"redo." By the time you get through messing with that thing I'd think a
recap or replace of the bridge was justified, maybe even necessary.
Maybe I'm net getting a clear picture but why are you talking about
replacing the board?

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of David Love
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 9:18 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Glued in bridge pins

Here's an interesting dilemma.  Redoing a MH 1923 AA.  Board is nice.
Good crown, nice ring.  The bridge has taken a bit of a beating,
literally.
Someone used a sledge to tap down the strings and the top of the bridge
needs resurfacing.  So, pull the bridge pins, right?  It appears that
they have been set and glued.  Some are set so deep that there is barely
enough above the surface to hold the string, much less get a grip with
pliers.  I don't want to replace the board and the customer doesn't want
me to.  Is my best alternative to chisel away the bridge cap where I can
get a grip on the pins and pull them free and recap?  Any other
suggestions would be appreciated.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

---