Flange Center Friction Increase/Farrell

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 09:55:10 +0200

Flange friction is always changing.

Fun for us is to read the opposite plated being the "usual", but were
to find the brass pins, I'll admit I have never look for some but not
sure our retailers sells them.

Comment about the change in friction with weather change : the cloths
swell, and before the wood have been swelling enough to compensate
partially for that swell, the pinning can be very tight.

Not data to prove the point, only that plastic flanges seem to be less
efficient may be for that matters.

I understand also that the cloth used in Japanese flanges is less
tight than the Renner flange.

For the one interested I have an address to buy bushing cloth in
Japan, I have seen some samples, they have a nylon center, but are
supposed to hold longer than the less good bushing cloth quality we
find most often.
A friend of mine used it on many keyboards under heavy use and was
surprized by the result.

Best Regards.

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et réparation de pianos.