A string's treatment

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:31:37 +0200

Stephen,

It is indeed considered in the metallurgy that the creep of steel is
negligible, but in the piano trade, it is a very different story.

Experiments have been made, then data exists somewhere.

I'll try to translate what have been given to me :

Even under the elastic domain, a piano string is subject to a slow
deformation with time.
The creep begin at 40% of the breaking strain (Krichen = creep in
German). The most the temperature and the solicitation, the faster the
process ( from usual shop temperature to a hotness like in a hot
summer day the effect is accelerated ten times from 23?c to 35?c (or
72F to 95F)

The experiments where conducted on a 12 years lasting on tensed
strings at different tensions - Klaus Fenner wrote a text in German
that describe these '(1978) - have no translation at this date.
The results are very clear and well known. While the first creep occur
(tension applied) there is a broking of the molecular organization
that wake up a counter-force (seems like histeresis to me). This last
is changing the strain resistance of the string to the better breaking
strain limit is higher). Slowly, with time, the creep disappear
totally.

The name of the initial effect when a string is first tension applied
is the Kosler effect. It have been noticed that a string was sour at
first, then ring clearer. This is due (partially) to the performance
loss of modulus of elasticity E, that, because of the dislocation
counter-force, have its properties back after a few hours, then evolve
depending of the creep and the annealing (may be another English word
describe better the internal annealing in question ?) . The
dislocation phenomena of the steel is said to be essential . The most
important part of the loss of the energies provided by the pianist
occur in the string and the bridge, and NOT in the soundboard (!)

It is suggested that you conduct the experiment yourself if you mark
the length of a string (marker, tape) tense a 800 N , measure the
elongation and keep it at that tension for 6 months ore one year, then
intense and measure it, if no creep should occur, your string should
be back to its original length.

The arrangement of the molecular dislocation is said to be of primal
importance for the internal amortizing of the string
(viscous/elasticity)

I wanted to say about the 4 kind of strings that are produced by
Stephen PAULELLO, that a full methodology will be available, as well
as more data on them, in September. The strings are made with a slower
anneling time than Roslau blue or red, and that is the main reason for
their propreties.

On the Mas Cabre 'Pure sound' strings, I've always been told it was
only stainless wire that was annealed to commeon sizes, based on the
discovering that stainless have the same density than on kind of wire
that was current in Europe, Firmini string.

Others say me that some other metal is in the mix, but I don't see how
a wire maker can obtain special alliages in small quantities  from the
metallury trade so doubt remains at this time (and i am not found of
the tone this wire gives).

What type of wire are you planning ? for what era(s).

Greetings.

Isaac OLEG