Wealth

Brian Lawson lawsonic@bdmail.co.za
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 21:27:23 +0200

My second tuning for the day,  a new customer, lived in one of the most
expensive suburbs of the city. Driving through the security gates of suburbs
borders, (lately put in place since the extinction of the oppressive apartheid
system forced home owners into some control or their areas) I saw house,
grander house and even grander house as I reached my appointment.   It was
number 100 of the road I was in, so exclusive it has its own traffic light
outside to let the owners in and out, I turned in on green.

The houses own security guard was walking around the little wall that enclosed
a little grass embankment, I pulled up, he got out his clipboard, asked my
name and business and wrote in my details. As the electronic, electric fenced
gates opened I drove into to the available designated parking bay. I got out
and walked up the path, covered by the angled glass awning covering you from
sun and rain (when it does, not often) to the door and rang the bell.

The maid greeted me but although expected she called the madam on her phone to
make sure. As I waited I stood on the tiled marble floor, looked at the cut
glass crystal chandelier in the hall, the view of the garden through the glass
wall, looking to my right was the kitchen,breakfast bar and one of the
lounges. To my left the stairs up to the first floor and down to the lower
floor, where I eventually was led.  There in a side guest room was the piano
of my call, in this magnificent house, upholstered with the finest cloth,
carved woods and furniture of the most expensive available, there was a piano,
a piano of the least cost and expense available, a thirty year old locally
made piano they had got from a relative who no longer used it.

Internally covered in that many years of dust, the maid was horrified as I
opened it to see the thick layer of dust covering the keys and action, I don't
think dust was a known word in that house before then. Anyhow, after I dusted
and she came back with wet and dry cloths and did a proper job of cleaning
I tuned it. A quarter tone flat but not too bad condition for what  it was.
Just that in a house of such wealth, this was the cheapest single item in it.
One day I'm sure the little girl who plays will get a grand for her birthday,
but for now at least she has something that sounds like a piano should.

Oh well, onto the next birdcage....

Brian