Removing bridge caps

Sun, 20 Jul 2003 16:40:19 -0700

I have filled the old holes with shoe pegs, I have also filled them with
epoxy mixed with a filleting blend or wood flour.  At the Reno convention I
saw somebody with a nice jig for a router that straddled either side of the
bridge.  You could then slide it along the board and it would take down the
bridge top uniformly.  You would have to do something different at the top
of the treble where the reflector gets in the way or at the bottom of the
tenor bridge if there is a transition bridge with a connecting body.  So, I
have usually planed by hand or electric planer, chiseled, scraped, sanded,
whatever it took to get it flat.  It's a bit labor intensive and it's one
of those jobs that benefits from doing it all the time--which I don't..
So, I'm always looking for labor saving alternatives the produce better
results.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net