Removing bridge caps

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 18:48:41 -0500

>What are the best ways people have found to remove an old bridge cap
>(attached to the board) when one wants to preserve the maximum amount of
>bridge root, i.e., separating the body from the cap at the joint.  I have
>planed them down in the past.  I recall seeing a jig to hold a router bit
>that straddled the bridge as well which I have not used (and don't recall
>the exact design).  But I have never tried to take the cap off at the old
>joint.  Can this be done effectively by, say, planing down near the joint
>and steaming it to loosen what is probably hide glue (1923).  Or might this
>potentially compromise the vertical laminations of the root?

Planing, chiseling or routing works. You can stop just above the root
(maybe a millimeter) and steam, chisel and scrape the rest without a
problem if you're paying attention. I never liked the idea of cutting the
bridge root down to the bottom of the pin holes. There's no stress on the
pins to speak of down there anyway, so why go to the trouble and cut the
bridge root in half? All the pressure and abuse happens in the cap. Some
toothpicks or shoe pegs and a little epoxy or Titebond in the holes will be
quite adequate.

Ron N