soundboardinstal again

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 19:12:03 -0500

>A point made earlier in this discussion about the tightness of fit around
>the perimeter brings up a question.  I know that some soundboard installers
>prefer to do the bridgework with the board out of the piano, i.e. notching
>and pinning.  So, they lay in the board, and put the plate in on top, clamp
>in a few key places, wedge the board down under the struts and set the
>bearing, take everything out and notch and pin the bridge.

Since I haven't built a power notcher like Del's, I prefer doing it on the
bench, or screwed to a clamped down 1x10, without having to bend over a
soundboard at all.

>With a certain
>amount of gap around the perimeter of the board, you would think that the
>board would move outward slightly in the wedging process such that setting
>the bearing would give a different result than when the board was actually
>glued in.  Any comments on this method and whether it presents a problem?
>
>David Love

One more time -----
The difference in length measured from straight end to end of a 36" 60'
crowned rib (crown height 0.225"), and that measured over the curve is
under 0.004". If that will make the difference, we're all doomed and had
just as well take on paper routes.

Ron N