price-shoppers revisited

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 21:41:37 -0700

Maybe it's the state of the present economy, but is anybody else getting
more than the usual ration of "price-shopper"  phone inquiries?

If so, I would like to get as many examples of your responses to the typical
FIRST,  and seemingly most important question on the price-shopper's mind:
"How much do you charge?" Nothing else seems to matter to this ilk, like,
say, experience, quality, attention to detail and professionalism. I'm
wondering if I should try to "sell" these bargain hunters on these far more
important qualities, or just simply state my fee and shut up...or maybe I
should qualify THEM, and decide if I want to have THEM as a regular client.

It seems that lately, asking when their piano was last tuned, and the usual
routine intro questions are a waste of breath, because it seems, again, that
these "looky-loos" just want the very lowest, rock bottom price they can
find, damn the quality or experience! Maybe it's my imagination, but it just
seems as though these types of calls a becoming more and more frequent, and
I hate to lose ALL of them. Short of lowering my rates, which I do NOT want
to do, I wonder if there is another way to salvage at least SOME of these
calls.

I realize that not everyone shops on Rodeo Drive, but then again, the vast
majority of people don't have to settle for the crap at the "99 Cent Store"
either. Feedback from those with more experience is welcome and appreciated.

Terry Peterson