soundboardinstal again

Thu, 24 Jul 2003 07:12:14 -0700

I believe go bars can be calibrated based on thickness, type of wood (ash
or hickory) and length.  You have to have a way of setting the piano at a
controlled height below a top deck.  Then by using go bars of a specific
length differential between the top of the bridge and the top deck, and the
go bar itself, the amount of force given by each go bar can be determined.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

Why
> > not use go bars along the bridge line with which you could actually set
the
> > amount of load you were putting on the board--not to mention distribute
the
> > load in a more controlled way.  By doing this, you would then be able to
> > see how the board reacts under 750, 850, or 1000 lbs and set the bearing
> > based on where you wanted the board to end up.  Though the effect of
> > various loads can, apparently, be precalculated, I would think there
would
> > still be some variability.  This would seem to take that variability, or
> > lingering doubt, out of the equation.  It would also seem to be quite
> > useful on old boards when recapping them.  Since older boards vary
quite a
> > bit in terms of stiffness, this would seem to offer a good way of
> > determining just how much bearing an old board could take without
pushing
> > it too far.  Or is this using a cannon to kill a fly.
> >
> > David Love
> > davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

What