Virus Alert! (This is for real - I found it in my 'puter! Yikes!)

Richard Strang rstrang@pa.inter.net
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 18:04:31 -0500

If you deleted the file but didn't empty your recycle bin, just restore it
from there. No problem.

Richard

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Avery Todd
Sent: Friday, July 25, 2003 5:23 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Virus Alert! (This is for real - I found it in my 'puter!
Yikes!)

I'm probably going to regret doing this without checking the rest of
my e-mails but before anyone else does this, READ THIS. ALWAYS check
out ANYTHING that says to delete anything!!!!!!!!

JDBGMGR.EXE Virus Hoax File with teddy bear icon wrongly accused of virus
Related Resources
• Sulfnbk.exe hoax
• Restoring Sulfnbk.exe
• Likely source
• Jdbgmgr.exe hoax
• Hoax Encyclopedia
• Virus Encyclopedia
• Glossary of terms
How does an innocent file, jdbgmgr.exe, with a teddy bear icon end up
accused of being a virus? JDBGMGR.EXE is suffering the same fate as its
predecessor hoax victim, SULFNBK.EXE. In May 2001, the SULFNBK.EXE hoax
caused thousands of gullible users to delete a perfectly legitimate system
file. Now the same hoax is circulating, this time targeting the equally
benign JDBGMGR.EXE. As with the SULFNBK.EXE hoax, it is likely a result of
confusion caused by the Magistr virus. While the hoax mail urges users to
search for and delete the JDBGMGR.EXE file, in reality JDBGMGR.EXE should
be on the system - it is a standard windows component included with
Internet Explorer (at least as far back as version 3.02). For those hapless
folks who've deleted the file, there is good news. Unless you are a Java
developer, the file is not essential to normal operation and its absence
should not create any adverse affects. If you do encounter problems with
Java applications, you will need to either contact the vendor of the
application for a new copy of Microsoft Virtual Machine or you can download
Sun Java™ Virtual Machine instead. Unless you are a Windows XP user,
Microsoft VM is no longer available directly from Microsoft (this is due to
a licensing disagreement with Sun). XP users can obtain the Microsoft VM
via XP's Service Pack 1 by visiting the Windows Update site. If you use XP
and had already installed Service Pack 1 before deleting the file, the
Windows Update site will no longer list SP1 for your system. You can obtain
another copy of SP1 here.
The email hoax urging users to delete this necessary file may be preceded
with the dire sounding "National Virus Alert". It may also make reference
to a Teddy Bear icon, which is the standard icon for that file. Following
is one sample of the hoax:
Hi, everybody:
I just received a message today from one of my friends in my Address Book.
Their Address Book had been infected by a virus and it was passed on to my
computer. My Address Book, in turn, has been infected. The virus is called
jdbgmgr.exe and it propagates automatically through Messenger and through
the address book. The virus is not detected by McAfee or Norton and it
stays dormant for 14 days before wipe out the whole system. It can be
deleted before it erase your computer files. To delete it, you just have to
do the following:
1) Go to Start, click on "Find"
2) At "files or folders" write the name jdbgmgr.exe
3) Be sure to search drive "C"
4) Click on "find now"
5) If you find the virus (the icon is a little bear with the name
jdbgmgr.exe) DO NOT OPEN IT FOR ANY REASON
6) Right click on it and delete the file (it will go to the recycle bin)
7) Go to the recycle bin and delete the file definitively or empty the
recycle bin.
If you did fall victim to the hoax, you likely will not experience any ill
effects as a result of the deleted file. However, you might not be as lucky
when the next hoax rolls around, so be sure to check the facts before
acting on unsolicited advice and warnings received via email. The Hoax
Encyclopedia provides descriptions of common hoaxes. If you've received
something not listed there and want to verify its authenticity, post a
message in the help forums for assistance.

At 02:13 AM 07/25/03 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Joe,
>
>I found it too, and deleted the little bugger.  Thanks for the
>easy-to-follow instructions.
>
>Dave Stahl
>
>In a message dated 7/24/03 8:29:02 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
>joegarrett@earthlink.net writes:
>

>>I CHECKED MY FILES AND DID FIND THIS VIRUS.  PLEASE FOLLOW THE PROCEDURE
>>BELOW AND DELETE THE FILE. ----- Original Message -----

BELOW
>>AND DELETE THE FILE.
>>

>>SORRY
>>

>>AARON
>>

>>Unfortunately, a virus has been passed on to me by a contact. My address
>>book was infected.
>>

>>Since you are in my address book, there is a good chance you will find it
in
>>your computer too. The virus (called jdbgmgr.exe) is not detected by
Norton
>>or McAfee antivirus systems. The virus sits quietly for 14 days before
>>damaging the system.
>>

>>It is sent automatically by messenger and by the address book, whether or
>>not you sent e-mail to your contacts.
>>

>>Here's how to check for the virus and how to get rid of it:
>>

>>YOU MUST DO THIS.
>>

>>1. Go to start, Find or search option.
>>

>>2. In the file folder option, type the name jdbgmgr.exe
>>

>>3. Be sure you search your C: drive and all subfolders and any other
drives
>>you may have.
>>

>>4. Click "find now" or "search".
>>

>>5. The Virus has a Teddy Bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe DO NOT OPEN
IT!