soundboardinstal again

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 20:32:24 -0500

>I see, so there is a large "by feel" component in prestresssing the board.
>I can accept that.  So then you pound on the board while inserting the
>wedges until it feels right and then set the bearing.

Partly.

>  What relevance,
>then, is the amount of deflection.

That's the other part. You can't expect an old board to be as stiff, with
as much remaining crown as a new board. Nor can you expect a new board made
as a copy of the existing board to have the same stiffness at the same
deflection as a completely redesigned board with an entirely different rib
set and crown plan. Nor can you assume different boards, each with
specifically designed rib sets to have identical characteristics. There
just aren't any universal checklist numbers and procedures that use one
indicator in all instances. The entire system must be taken into account
(or as much of it as you can conjure up), using the indicators of feel,
resulting deflection, back scale length, and intended design parameters as
indicators. New , old, or entirely different than anything ever made, it
requires some thinking and evaluation. Ain't no ticket to ride. You have to
make decisions.

>For example, David Hughes writes that
>he aims for about 3mm at the centermost strut.  Is this, then, just a check
>to be sure that the board, when stressed to your satisfaction by feel,
>hasn't moved farther than you anticipated serving as a general indication
>of stiffness?

Based on what? New board? Old board? What crowning method and radii in what
sections? Rib loading? Rib dimensions and crown height? That 3mm has a
whole lot of assumptions and qualifications behind it that weren't listed.

Ron N