Baldwin

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Sat, 26 Jul 2003 00:18:33 -0400

Richard,

It's not uncommon to have bass bridge glue joints fail.  I've seen it
at the apron and the sound board.  The question here, I think, is do
you have crown and down bearing?  Take a thread and from the bottom
of the board, stretch the thread from one end of the board to the
other with the grain.  Pull the thread tight  at each end and the
center should be a quarter inch or more from the board.  If the
thread is straight, that proves that the sound board bows (or crowns)
up in the center.

Next, take a down bearing gauge and check for positive bearing at
several points on the bass and treble bridges.  If there is positive
bearing and the sound board has crown, you're fine.

I like to use tight bond wood glue in this case.  The trick is
clamping.  In most cases I have had the bridge pull away from the
apron.  I drill and countersink four holes in the bridge, glue, and
send in wood screws to pull the joint together.  (I leave the screws
in, just make sure you countersink enough that a string doesn't lay
on the screw)

In the case of the apron loose from the board, you can use the same
process but the screws go in from the back of the board and into the
apron riser.  It is possible to remove the screws after the glue
dries and then drill and plug with a dowel.  It may look a bit nicer
but I leave the screws in.  I think it's stronger and easier.

The reason that down bearing did not hold the bridge down, assuming
there is bearing, is that the last three strings are so close to the
edge of the board.  The board has crown but the bridge riser is
straight.  When it is glued to the board, it is forced to bend to
meet the crown.  If the glue joint fails, the riser will try to
straighten itself, hence the gap.

You also mention that the bridge is cracked.  If you mean cracks at
each bridge pin, that's another repair, and that repair depends on
how bad the cracks are.  If the bridge cap is cracked up and loose
from the board, it might be a good time to replace the bridge, or at
least the cap.  Send more information on all the above and we'll talk
more.

chris

--
Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.