Bridge attachment

Sat, 26 Jul 2003 08:39:28 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: BobDavis88@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: July 25, 2003 10:57 PM
  Subject: Re: Bridge attachment

  Putting the screws between ribs is easy enough, and I understand your =
point about compression-crowned ribs being less sensitive to piercing =
than rib-crowned ribs. However, I have also always heard that standard =
woodworking practice is to replace screws used as clamps, with dowels, =
and I wondered if in this case that was more, or less, risky than =
leaving the screws in. I have heard noise from the screw/button =
combination. I also considered a spruce plug instead of a dowel, or a =
dowel up into the bridge and a plug in the soundboard.=20
There is fresh MPA II (or its consumer equivalent, Titebond II) between =
the soundboard and the bridge. The button has already been glued on =
(with the same adhesive. I doubt that either will become loose enough to =
rattle.

  The problem is, I have a bridge staring me in the face and I don't =
want to build a pneumatic press tomorrow.

Yup. And then you need to make it work for each bridge configuration you =
come up with. Make sure, when you dry-fit the bridge to the soundboard, =
that you don't have any gaps. Yes, put in all the screws you plan to =
use. And have a large hand screw or two available for the ends. You'll =
be fine.

Del