Hamburg distance spec.

Mon, 28 Jul 2003 19:06:29 -0700

I find it's best to glue hammers on based on the strike point.  Check to
see that the action is in the position you want it and determine the
optimum strike point with the hammers that are in there by moving the
action in and out.  It is most critical in the capo sections.  The tenor
and bass sections are not sensitive to changes in the same way.  Glue at
130 mm unless you need to move it in a little to get the strike point
right--it is rare that you will have to glue the hammers farther out on the
shank.  My experience with those pianos is that they usually got the strike
point right so if it's off a bit from the standard 130 mm, you are better
off matching it.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

----- Original Message -----
From: Bob Hull
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 7/28/2003 5:18:10 PM
Subject: Hamburg distance spec.

Does the New York Steinway specification of 5 1/8 " from hammer flange
center pin to center of hammer molding apply to Hamburg as well?

I am replacing hammers on a Hamburg D.  The old (or present set of hammers)
distance is 5 1/16 or a tiny bit more on all but one of the sample hammers
(ends of sections).  One is glued on at 5 1/8  (hammer #1)    They probably
use a mm. spec rather than inches.?

Also, the new hammers I ordered from S&S specifically for the Hamburg sure
are a lot wider and they are hornbeam instead of mahagony like the old
ones.   I will taper these to try to match weight.

Your help is appreciated.

Bob

Do you Yahoo!?