Choosing Strings and Hammers for a 1975 Yamaha C7

aMeRy cHaY aquatred_chay@yahoo.com
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 13:22:46 -0700 (PDT)

Good day list,

Firstly, as a younger person, I would like to apologise for opening a probably old can of worms before i start shooting my questions. Any response is greatly appreciated..thanks!

I am working on a 1975 Yamaha C7 which i have recently acquired...dead strings, good crown, horrid hammers, and because of the lack of experience, I am calling on another Yamaha technician to do the job for me. I am from Singapore, where there is a profound lack of rebuilding experience amongst piano technicians here (no rebuilding shops) He also left it up to me to choose the parts as standard Yamaha parts/labour are too expensive in this part of the world. My question here is:

I am aware that a good voicer/intoneur/technician will be ultimately responsible as to how the final result of the piano will sound but unfortunately we don't have the means to "import" an experienced technician from overseas or the expertise locally, therefore i need to know, what manufacturer of hammers AND strings here that the good, experienced folks of America have worked with that actually sound good with the least fussing/work done to it (ie. easier to work with :)...as I hope to get a particular brand for the technician that would enable him to pop the hammers on and adjust the regulation, and maybe do extremely minor adjustments to the voicing.

I have dug up the archives recently and have heard alot of work being done to Renner and Isaac hammers such as "removing the staples to file away excess felt" although i have heard very good things about them. I have also read good reviews on Abel hammers in yamaha pianos, but i am unsure of what size yamaha piano it was. Any good reports on these AND other hammers for the Yamaha C7s?

As for the strings, i was looking at Isaac, GC and Sanderson, and the question i need to ask here is which one would be easier to work with and hence, produce a better end result in the hands of a novice (me, who has only re strung 2 uprights and a 6 foot yamaha,never anything bigger..still getting my experience) and a yamaha tech who has never restrung a 7'4" mammoth in 6 years (two people working at once) I am aware that brand is not as important as the quality of the job done.

Anyone who has done an older C7 up care to enlighten me on this? Once again, my apologies for this rather lengthy and redundant query, and thanks for any correspondence and answers in advance!

Best Regards,

Amery Nikolai
Singapore