1999 Steinway L with heavy action

Mark Davidson mark.davidson@mindspring.com
Sun, 1 Jun 2003 09:10:44 -0400

I have a 1999 Steinway L with rather heavy action I am looking to =
correct.

Friction has been taken care of (was originally 20-30 grams - now =
10-15).

Action has been fully regulated which also improved it considerably.

Here are some numbers:

Balance weight ranges from 38-51g, average about 44.
Strike weights are medium in the bass crossing over to heavy in the =
tenor.

note   BW    FW    SW
C1     46    36    10.9
C2     45    34    11
C3     44    29    10.3
C4     41    32    10.5
C5     42    26     9.8
C6     38    24     9
C7     43    12     7.6
C8     40     7     6

So I am considering the following:

1. relead keys to bring balance weight to 38g

2. (1) plus move lead closer to balance rail to prevent slower =
repetition

3. lighten hammers from tenor up (remove felt? drill mouldings? maybe =
some of each - could use filing anyway)
   (piano is in a 10X13 room with hardwood floors so a smaller sound =
would not be an issue)

4. turbo wippen (either leave leads alone or remove some to make =
unsprung BW around 50 - how much are these things $$).

5. some combination of above

Recommendations?

-Mark Davidson