spinet octaves

Tony Caught caute@bigpond.com.au
Sun, 01 Jun 2003 20:07:50 +0930

Hi Charles,

Sorry to be late with this reply, have been away working.

Tunelab uses a system to set the scale over the entire piano and this
method
gives a very good tuning on the larger pianos but I have also noticed
that
on spinets and other pianos that have high inharmonicity in the bass
that
the bass inharmonicity constants (those things that set the scale when
you
measure them) affect the tenor section to a greater than normal degree.

I also noted that the octave tests in the tenor section were, to me,
too way
off to leave as they were so being an aural tuner I reset the scale and
tune
aurally and use the Tunelab for the upper and lower sections only. (by
octave comparison)

I asked Robert Scott about this problem and he suggested that I try
using
the 4:2 in the bass as this will narrow the tuning stretch down to make
it
more acceptable in the spinets.

I tried this and yes it does work. A much cleaner tenor section.

> From earlier days, I remember a master tuner telling me that when you
> tune
the smaller pianos you tune to a higher harmonic in the bass than you
use
normally. I was confused with what he was saying as in those days I new
very
little about the harmonic structure of a string and a 6:3 or a 6:4
octave
meant nothing to me. I could understand that an octave should be pure,
unisons clean and fifths for some reason should almost be pure
regardless
that logic says that they should double in discrepancy as they go up but
that is something else. Then I learnt about inharmonicity.

I have attached a my version of how I set up Tunelab for most common
pianos
used in homes. This is the file of the Sample Mason & Hamlin that is in
Tunlab modified to show how I set it up.

1.    A0 is set on Partial 1 to show the actual fundamental.
2.    C6 is set on Partial 4 and C7 is set on Partial 2 to show (in the
tuning curve program) where the top note C8 should be and what the
variations in the treble scale are.

Measure C 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. When measuring C1, if it is 50% more than
C2 do
not use. Delete it.
In auto mode set the bass on 4:2 and treble on 2:1 and, press one of the
inner arrows to set scale.
Activate the manual mode and adjust all C's in the bass to as close as
0 in
the upper tuning curve as possible.
The treble will be close but you can see from the C6 and C7 markers on
the
upper tuning curve where you can best set the last note.

This method may be a bit narrow for some of you but the tuning sounds
me) much better in the tenor and bass sections.

your comments would be appreciated as I also would like to make better
tunings easier too.

Regards

Tony Caught