Frozen hammer rail screws

Keith McGavern kam544@gbronline.com
Sun, 1 Jun 2003 16:39:58 -0500

>Paul Tizzard wrote,
>"Last week I assessed a piano at a local school that has all of the
>hammer rail screws "frozen" in the rail. The school is near the coast
>and the piano is in their hall. There is definitely a lot of moisture
>around generally. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to free the
>screws? ...

Hammer rail screws? (hammer flange screws?)

Grand piano? If yes, all that should be required is a screwdriver
that fits the slot as much as possible, and a pair of pliers. While
gripping the flat part of the screwdriver blade with the pliers and
turning the screw at the same time with the other, you'll have plenty
of leverage. Tiny tweaks of leverage both directions should solve the
situation.

Choice of pliers for me are the shank knurling pliers.

Keith McGavern