Deep Freeze Piano!!!!!

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 01 Jun 2003 17:16:55 -0500

> > Starting with a false presumption that a thump tone pitch is indicative of
> > tone potential in a strung piano (using the largely invalid comparison of a
> > violin to a piano (as usual) to make the presumption),
>
>Hey, Ron.  Would you please explain why you feel or think this is a false
>assumption? I've been thumpin' on the underside of boards with the damper
>pedal depressed for 20 years, and I can definitely pick up a lot of info
>about the condition of the board from listening:  loose ribs, loose edges,
>lack of resonance (i.e. crown and bearing), the general "voice" of the
>board/piano.
>
>Is it another one 'a them psycho-acoustic illusions?
>
>Best, David A.

No, it's no illusion, it's just thumping on the board with the damper pedal
down. Sure you can tell if the board is falling apart, and find major
performance problems that way but you can tell that by just playing it too.
What the photo showed, and what I was talking about was the assumption that
you could grade the final tone quality of a piano by thumping on an
un-strung board and checking it's pitch. Again, you can tell if the thing
is falling apart by the rattles and clanks produced, which should be pretty
obvious anyway, but the pitch of the thump is utterly non-informative.

Ron N