Deep Freeze Piano!!!!!

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sun, 1 Jun 2003 20:47:31 -0400

At 12:25 AM +0200 6/2/03, Richard Brekne wrote:
>Thump on your pianos, and trust in what you have come to understand what that
>tells you. Speak your own language to yourself... all this to be sure. But of
>course.... be open to what the numbers say as well. Both dieties have their
>validity,,,, and their failings

Ron and David were actually talking about two different things.
David's thumps report back to him things to be repaired, negatives to
be brought positive. Ron was talking about the assumption of the
board's condition (whatever it may be at the time of the
cryo-experiment) was taken as static, and that the only changes in
the system would be the addition of fresh material to it (ie., a
restringing).

David's extraneous noises (to be eliminated by repair) were as Ron
points out, not what Mr. Chris was measuring. Ron went further: what
Mr. Chris was measuring (the pitch of the board thump) had no
physical basis for reliability as an indicator of board resonance.

I definitely think we should stay tuned to this guy, if not just for
the boiler technique (wasn't that he basis for Kimball's
Mezzo-Thermoneal Stabilizer). If worse comes to worse, he can always
blame it on the Aeolian factory.

As for David's thumping, thump on, David. The white noise of
activated strings would seem to give you a quick snapshot of the
board's resonance!

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"A man who tells the truth is bound to be found out sooner or later."
     ...........Uncle Harry in "The Tailor of Panama"