Billings Flanges = Brass Rail

Keith McGavern kam544@gbronline.com
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 20:26:51 -0500

At 8:48 PM -0400 6/2/03, Clyde Hollinger wrote:
>I agree with Terry.  These cheap repairs sometimes work and
>sometimes they don't. ...

Clyde,

I'm certain you mean well, but these repairs are far from cheap, as I
am interpreting your connotation to mean "of decidedly inferior
quality", which they aren't, and not cheap as in "low in price",
which they are.

When performed correctly, these inexpensive repair items work just
fine and do offer the chance to save an instrument from being
discarded, as you have suggested to Terry F. these people do by
replacing their current piano with another.

The repair type brass devices are ingenious in their purpose and
design, and are invaluable in the piano service repair business when
needed.

Please know that there can come a time when there are more of the
flanges to repair than might be deemed reasonable or cost efficient,
but that time becomes a judgement factor for the piano technician
and/or customer to make.

A fellow named Earl Penisten, my Dad, Clair McGavern and I have taken
care of a one hundred year old Packard Upright for four decades of
its life that is in exquisite shape for its age, and it is definitely
worth repairing with the brass repair parts when that time comes. The
customer, deceased as of 2001, bought the piano directly from Packard
in 1905. I have yet to learn of its new whereabouts.

Keith McGavern