Key Leads and Inertia

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 23:07:18 -0400

At 1:52 AM -0400 5/30/03, Stephen Birkett wrote:
>Well it's about time I earned those oatmeal chocolate chip cookies
>which Bill very kindly sent  mmmm. Thanks much Bill for the treat.

You got the ones with the sodium pentathol. Next time it's the
Haight-Ashbury recipe. <g>

>The graphs I described are actually based on the formulas which are
>easily derived, but I hadn't included those in the article to keep
>it simple.

It would be nice to have some values (maybe next time the green
flecks AND the sodium pentathol). Knowing how the values are
observed/measured would allow us to see what scale the graph is in,
ie. are the breakpoints plotted in the neighborhood of a "mp" or a
"ff". Then we'd know over how much of the pianist's dynamic range,
the application of counterbalancing mass works for or against
pianist's control.

At 1:52 AM -0400 5/30/03, Stephen Birkett wrote:
>Yes. This is one certainly possible interpretation - I added some
>comments on the subject of control in the article version. I did say
>in the original slides that the question of "more or less difficult"
>control was "arguable" ["some might believe" etc.] It really depends
>on whether it's easier to control smaller absolute forces over a
>shallower slope vs larger forces over a steeper slope [this in the
>soft zone].

One could view the pianist's ability to control the speed of the
parts as measured by a minimum unit/increment of force applicable by
the pianists. Then the acceleration yielded by this minimal increment
of force would be the minimal increment of acceleration. The question
then becomes, is the size of the change in volume/timbre useful to
the pianist as a minimal incremental of tonal variation.

If the curve is too steep, he minimal increment of tonal variation
will be to large, and the action will indeed be too "touchy", as Phil
describes. Too shallow, and the pianist's minimal increment of force
will go unnoticed by the inertia in the system. That is the speed of
parts (hence, tonal attributes) will not show a noticeable response
to the pianists' minimal touch.

>The answer is not unequivocal and needs investigation.

As the mathematicians say, complex. I think the engineering studies
are going to have to remove the pianist from the piano, to avoid
contaminating variables and unknowables. Maybe, Stephen, you've been
there done that already.....

At 12:45 PM -0700 6/2/03, Phillip Ford wrote:
>1.  The steepest slope is the most desirable.
><snip>
>2.  Something other than the steepest slope is most desirable.

That's the choice, but we don't know how to make it yet because we
don't know how significant the advantages and disadvantages of each
are to a pianist's performance. Jerry Lee Lewis or Little Richard,
that's one thing.

>This gives us a predicament.  We then have to choose between biasing
>towards optimizing soft zone play or optimizing hard zone play.

The original choice is not between steep or shallow, it is between
choosing or not choosing. Like the original sin, it's not which sin
you'd pick, but whether you're going to be a "sinner".

>Or we have to come up with a new action design or balancing scheme
>that allows us to have a different slope in the soft zone and the
>hard zone.

A two-speed transmission, the second taking over after the
breakpoint. this whole system begins to resemble a torque converter.

At 12:45 PM -0700 6/2/03, Phillip Ford wrote:
>Another point to come out of this slope investigation - if it turns
>out that the steepest slope is most desirable, then this would
>indicate that we would get some return from reducing the inertia of
>the key itself.  Some clever engineering of the keys might yield
>positive results.

Don't forget the rep and the shank. If you don't want mass in the
key, you don't need it in these either. I would like to see a real
hammer out on the business end of this action.

>If it turns out that something other than the steepest slope is most
>desirable, this would indicate that the time and expense of doing
>this would probably be wasted.

As soon as the optimal slop has been decided upon, designing the
action should be straight forward.

At 12:45 PM -0700 6/2/03, Phillip Ford wrote:
>Also, on the next revision of your article perhaps you will include
>the idea of magnetic balancing and compare this to lead balancing.
>I think balancing with magnets should keep the slope of the line the
>same as the line for the unbalanced key but shift it to the left a
>bit.  If the steepest slope is the most desirable, then this would
>appear to be a good way to go.  If not, then perhaps leads would be
>better.

Here, here. Phil, let's both send him cookies. I have two concerns
with magnets.

1.) As long as it is a Fazioli action being set up, one could trust
that the work being asked of the magnets moving conventional amounts
of weight in the action. With Mr. Chris's Aeolian grand, the magnets
could also be pressed into service on inertia problems which should
have been dealt with mechanically (ie., SWs, Fws, SBRs etc.)

2.) I don't know how the coupling of parts operates during the return
stroke. This a complaint similar to that of helper springs, in that
both introduce a counterbalancing force with is separate from (and
independent of) the forces based on mass (gravity and inertia).
During the down stroke, the key is the driver and everything above it
is coupled by gravity and inertia. On the way back, the force of
magnets (as does force of springs) is working against the mass-based
forces. BTW, both the helper springs and the magnets grow weaker, the
higher the hammer lifts, and stronger as the key returns.

At 11:35 PM +0200 6/2/03, Richard Brekne wrote:
>One point I'd like to get clear pretty quickly tho... just what
>level of play can we expect to be able to expand the so called soft
>zone too by configuring the keys intertia appropriatly ? Is this
>limited to some level of pianismo ? Or can this feasably include mf
>perhaps even forte play ? I must admit I've not really thought of
>these musical concepts for play level in terms of actual input force
>in grams.

I couldn't agree more. We lack a correlation. And I'd be willing to
bet that the combination of pianist and piano is an unknowable.