hammer shapes

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 02:03:46 -0600

  =20

  Anyway....my little story turned out a little longer than expected.
  Hopefully it made any sense at all?

  Antares,
  The Netherlands

  see my website at : www.concertpianoservice.nl

  Yes, thank you very much for your observations, history, and =
explanation of manufacturers' hammer shapes.
      But most non-professional piano owners don't have the funds to =
experiment with different types of hammers on their piano.  And once =
you've filed a set to one shape, it's almost impossible to file them =
again to a different shape without taking off too much weight, or, in =
the high treble, getting down to the wood.  Piano owners have to have =
the hammers that are on there filed, steamed, lacquered, ironed, =
whatever.  If they decide to replace hammers, a big nebulous uncertain =
area, for me anyway, is what kind to buy?  Once you've ordered a set, =
prepped them, hung them, pre-regulated, and put the action back in the =
piano to finish regulating and voicing, you're already out a couple =
hundred dollars and maybe 6 to 10 hours' labor!  Too late to say, =
"Woops, should've gotten Renners instead of Abels." (or whatever other =
brand).
       If I could buy a half-dozen or even a dozen of all the various =
hammers, then I could try them out on people's pianos (just replace a =
few in the middle, or maybe a couple in each section of the piano) =
before deciding what to buy.
      Yes, I've replaced many sets of hammers, but it's always a gamble. =
 Guess I've just lucked out so far.  Admittedly, most of the pianos were =
not "concert" instruments, and would have been improved no matter what =
brand was installed!
      But how do you others decide which type to buy for which pianos?
      --David Nereson, RPT
     =20