heavy Steinway action

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Tue, 03 Jun 2003 08:23:35 -0500

I'm sure they're not going to be willing, nor do I think they should
have to do it.   But as long as Steinway makes actions that are too
heavy to play, as long as that brand mystique tells them that if they
don't like it at purchase time that it must be their fault not
Steinways, then some will have to either pay or quit playing.

Some have to play pianos that an institution bought and they had no
control over the purchase.  I wish that there weren't any actions out
there that can cause injury, but they are out there.  I know of
people who have quit playing jobs because the club's new "B" caused
injury.  I think that was the point of the original post.  Why are
these pianos out there?  Sure there are individual preferences.  Sure
these are art, but there is a line that shouldn't be crossed, because
there are people buying these things that don't know better, and
there are institutions who buy them simply because they're Steinways
and they must be good.  When a restaurant or club buys a piano they
don't "select" it, they get the one that no one else has "selected".
In many cases, these pianos shouldn't have even left the factory with
an action that heavy.

dave