heavy Steinway action

Tue, 3 Jun 2003 08:14:21 -0700

I don't think changing the capstan changes the "nature" of the instrument.
In this case, it simply corrects a problem, in my view.  I wouldn't choose
a piano with a touchweight problem given an alternative.  But sometimes
pianos are chosen that have the problem, and I don't think we should be
bashful about making whatever change is necessary to get the instrument to
performance level.  Or, sometimes the piano has everything going for it
except for a touchweight problem which can be corrected relatively easily.
I don't consider moving the capstan to be such a radical thing.  My
assessment of pianos for buyers includes comments about the touchweight.
It may not be something they are even thinking of.  Inexperienced pianists
have commented to me that they didn't even know that there was a variation
in touchweight from piano to piano.  They may not recognize a problem until
they sit down and play the piano for a month or so.  Then they wonder why
it doesn't feel the same as their teachers piano and why they are having
such a hard time with it.

 David Love
 davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

davidlovepianos@earthlink.net writes:

> It is often very difficult for a pianist who sits down to 10 or 20 pianos
> to really tell by feel how that action is going to feel day after day.
> There are many things which can skew their perceptions.  A technician
> should be able to tell be looking at the leading pattern, measuring some
> sample notes for balance weight whether there is a serious problem or
not.
> My advice when buying a piano.  Take a technician who can make that
> assessment, among others.  For technicians, learn how to make the
> assessment.
>
> David Love
>

> First of all, when I'm talking about making changes, I'm not talking
about regulations. It's understood that a certain amount of regulation is
necessary, as it would be on any instrument. But when it comes to changing
capstan location, or adding leads, that I think, is going beyond the scope
of regulation. That's changing the whole nature of the instrument.

> It doesn't take much to tell the difference in touch weight between
pianos. When I was in NY last year, I played five or six different D's, and
even I could tell the difference, and I don't play the piano. When I had my
store, even nominally talented players were able to tell the difference
between pianos.

> Now, granted, there isn't much that can be done when playing for clubs.
But I'm talking about pianos bought by private owners, who later decide the
piano isn't what they wanted. Just because a piano is on sale, doesn't make
it a good instrument, even if it is a Steinway. This, I think, is where we
need to educate customers. We should evaluate pianos for structural damage,
and over all condition, not with the intent of changing touch weight.