Piano Recording, was: Soundboard #001 Finished

antares@euronet.nl antares@euronet.nl
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 18:18:37 +0200

On dinsdag, jun 3, 2003, at 17:14 Europe/Amsterdam, Farrell wrote:

> Thanks for the kind words. One question I have had for a while now is
> what recommendations does anyone have for equipment and techniques for
> recording a piano. I currently have zero equipment and zero knowledge
> of how to go about making a recording that might reasonably reflect
> the true sound of the piano. My current budget for equipment is pretty
> darn close to zero also, but I need to know what direction I need to
> head in.
>
> Terry Farrell

OK Terry,

My wife is a composer and her work is being played on a more or less
regular basis.
Sometimes the recording technicians will give her a CD of the recording
and sometimes not. It is especially difficult when the concert was
broadcast by a radio crew as they never give any Cd's of that
particular evening.
That's why she decided to make her own recordings no matter what and I
therefor contacted various studio technicians I tune for.
The best result so far we had with two very tiny ear plug-like
microphones which you either put in your ear to get an optimal stereo
affect or just place them in front of you, some meters away from the
sound source.
The name of these UNBELIEVABLE microphones is : SOUNDMAN OKM - II
professionell Originalkopf - Mikrofon
www.soundman.de

The recorder is a fairly simple but otherwise amazing mini disc made by
SHARP. Put together, these two gadgets make a very satisfying and
almost professional recording.

Antares,
The Netherlands

see my website at : www.concertpianoservice.nl